I was invited to participate in "The Next Big Thing Blog Tour" by my fellow crit group member Gaia Cornwall! The tour is designed to bring awareness to authors and illustrators and the projects they are working on. They asked ten questions, so here are ten answers:
1) What is the working title of your next book?
But I Don't Want to Be a Zombie!
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
It seemed to appear fully formed one day out of the brains of my dear wife Megan, who happens to be totally afraid of Zombies herself!
3) What genre does your book fall under?
It falls under the "disturbing yet sweet picture books for kids who don't want to sleep ever again" category.
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
I'd say the little nerdy kid from Jerry McGuire except that he's probably 40 or something. Instead I'll say Asa Butterfield, because I just saw the trailer for Ender's Game.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Zane is afraid to tell his parents that he just wasn't cut out for this whole zombie business. How will they react when they find out that he prefers whole grains to brains?
6) Who is publishing your book?
7) How long did it take you to create the illustrations?
Since it's a work-in-progress, were are still in the R&D phase where I'm exploring the design of the characters and setting--this will in turn determine how long the illos will take me.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
This is hard to say since there aren't a lot of zombie kid books out there, but it would sit nicely somewhere between Creepy Carrots by Peter Brown and Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex.
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The feeling we all have as kids that your parents might not like you as much because you are different from them. I think this is a feeling all kids can relate to.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?