Pages

Sep 25, 2007

Ahab

Captain Ahab

Hey everyone! Here is the final design I did for Captain Ahab or an upcoming Moby Dick themed edition of sketch-o-rama. My take on Ahab was to show him as a withered, ghostly, deranged gentleman.

I'm experimenting with leaving my sketchy line drawings visible in areas to retain some of the energy of the original sketch. I've been definitely influenced by the drawings of Alberto Giacometti. I think there is an energy to his line work that could easily lend itself to animation design. More to come, stay tuned.

9 comments:

Megan Newcomer Lacera said...

I mean, what can't you draw?? The world awaits the rise of JL!

SACKS said...

your best piece yet!

Howard Shum said...

Cool art on your blog!

Eli said...

Giacometti is a great inspiration, nice work!

Luiz Henrique Rodrigues said...

i´ve just read your interview on character desgin blogspot, and i really enjoyed your art.I´m working hard to become a character design, if you could stop bye my blog e give your opinion?
thanks anyway
and good luck

Richard Gaines said...

Greetings from South Florida! Great designs! You have a feel similar to Genndy Tartakovsky!

So you're living in Ohio now?

Gulzar said...

Saw all your stuff here...love the way you treat your work....like the use of color variation...
i like the way you use your volumes....
they are not repetitive...keep it up!
cheers!
will come back for more...

Jorge@jlacera.com said...

Hey everyone thanks for the kind words!

Megsie-No, there really isn't anything i can't draw...except maybe toes don't ask why...

Sacks-thanks, i'm digging the Burt and Urnie sketches, got any more?

Howard- Thanks!

Eli- I love Giacometti, his line work is so expressive and alive!

Luiz- Great blog, i'll make sure to drop you an email.

Richard- Thanks! Man i miss South Florida, hows the weather?

Guizar- Thanks! I'll be posting some stuff soon enough.

Unknown said...

beuatiful work and blog sir book marked and favorited!

Blog Archive

Tags